Adib inquest: No way to identify object that caused fireman's injuries, says forensic expert

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 15 May 2019

Adib Mohd Kassim

SHAH ALAM: There is no way to identify the object that caused the injuries to Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim as there are no eyewitness, says forensics expert Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi.

Dr Ahmad Hafizam told the inquest into the death of Muhammad Adib on Wednesday (May 15) that without eyewitnesses to the incident on Nov 27 last year, it was difficult to find clues to determine what the exact object was.

Dr Ahmad Hafizam said the road shoulder was one of the possible objects as the 24-year-old fireman's injuries were likely caused by hitting a blunt, hard, and wide object with a rough surface.

He said this under questioning by lawyer Mohd Kamaruzaman A. Wahab, who is representing Muhammad Adib's family at the inquest.

"We are working 'blind', as no eyewitness can come forward to give clues (to what transpired that day)," he said.

He added that his conclusion on what happened to Muhammad Adib was based on the autopsy that he conducted and the clinical forensic examination made when the fireman was receiving treatment at the National Heart Institute (IJN).

Mohd Kamaruzaman: So, you can't tell the court the exact object that came into contact with Muhammad Adib?

Dr Ahmad Hafizam: As I have explained to the court, I am giving my answers based on the autopsy and the report from the clinical forensics examination. To pinpoint the exact object, I have to be at the scene when Muhammad Adib received the injury.

Earlier Wednesday, the court headed to the grounds of the Shah Alam Sessions Court to watch a demonstration of how fast the EMRS van – of the same make as the one Muhammad Adib was in – was moving when the incident occurred.

Dr Ahmad Hafizam was also on hand to explain the possible machinations in which Muhammad Adib could have sustained his fatal injuries.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad sits as coroner for the inquest, held at the Shah Alam Sessions Court.

Muhammad Adib became critically injured in the early morning of Nov 27, after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha

Mariamman Temple, where a riot was taking place.

The fireman was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the IJN for further treatment, where he later died on Dec 17, at 9.41pm.

The inquest continues tomorrow (May 16).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site