Penang looking out for new landfill site on island, says Jagdeep


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 11 May 2019

GEORGE TOWN (Bernama): Datok Keramat assemblyman Jagdeep Singh Deo called on real estate stakeholders to seek a new landfill site on the island to reduce illegal dumping in the state.

According to the state Housing, Town and Country Planning and Local Government committee chairman, the numerous illegal dumping incidents – such as the recent footage of two men dumping rubbish into the sea near Farquhar Street, which went viral on social media – have raised concerns among real estate players.

“We believe the root cause of the illegal dumping activities is the high cost of transporting waste to dumpsites on the mainland,” he told a press conference after a dialogue chaired by the Penang branch of the International Real Estate Federation (FIABCI) here Saturday (May 11).

He said the dumpsite at Jelutong had almost reached its capacity and would be closed to make way for a 40ha mixed development site.

“We welcome parties who could assist the state government in resolving the issue,” he said.

Jagdeep added that it had also been proposed that the minimum penalty for illegal dumping be increased.

Meanwhile, another issue raised during the dialogue was to increase the number of hotel rooms and serviced apartments to cater to the increasing number of tourist arrivals in Penang.

He added that operators of serviced apartments should have the minimum four-star rating as provided by the guidelines finalised last year.

“This means that the conditions of the serviced apartments, such as size, facilities, accessories and other services, should comply with the four-star rating requirements,” he added. – Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online