Damaged pipes to be replaced


KLANG: Preliminary work to replace damaged pipes in Bukit Raja has started, says Selangor executive councillor Izham Hashim.

“We have engaged two construction companies to work 24 hours

to divert the damaged pipes and expect work to be completed in three days,” he said.

According to Izham, the new pipes will cut across the highway from their current location for about 300m to the opposite side.

After that, the pipes will cross

the highway again to be connected back to its original side.

The stretch of pipes that was dislocated and had multiple leaks due to soil movement will be sealed off and made redundant.

Most of Klang suffered chaos after water supply came to an abrupt halt on Sunday.

Three main pipes measuring 1,400mm, 900mm and 600mm at the Klang stretch of the West Coast Expressway project were severely damaged.

The soil movement also caused part of the road to sink, as well as some parts of the retaining wall to crack.

Izham said the pipes that would be diverted were the 1,400mm and 900mm ones.

“Replacing the pipes and diverting them is seen as the best long-term solution.

“We have to spend a little more but will have a secure and safer alternative to ensure uninterrupted water supply for the people,” Izham said.

He added that the matter was discussed and agreed upon at the weekly exco meeting yesterday.

The current site of the pipes was unpredictable as the soil there was marine clay, which was difficult to manage, he said.

It is believed that the location is still experiencing soil movement.

Izham said West Coast Express­way Sdn Bhd would likely have to remove the entire stretch of the damaged highway and bridge and rebuild.

He also reminded relevant parties to obtain a plan of the underground pipes from Pengurusan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd before starting any work.

On another matter, Izham said water supply to 44 areas from the Lipat Kajang reservoir had been gradually restored.

“Water to the remaining 22 areas which receive supply from Bukit Raja will be restored by Thursday night,” he said.

Meanwhile, National Water Ser­vices Commis­sion (SPAN) chairman Charles Santiago said investigations had already started to identify the cause of the mishap.

He urged the Works Ministry to initiate immediate action to scrutinise the structural integrity of the construction.

Santiago added that SPAN was also looking at seeking compensation for consumers who had to undergo hardship because of the mishap.

Some 160,000 accounts and 700,000 users were affected by the unscheduled water disruption.


   

Across The Star Online


Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia