New opening created to sealed-off area in Bukit Tambun Penang as illegal dumping continues


NIBONG TEBAL: Trespassers have create a new opening to a sealed-off parcel of land in Bukit Tambun, Penang to continue illegal dumping there.

The Penang Development Corporation (PDC) general manager Mohd Bazid Abd Kahar in a statement on Tuesday (May 7) said that they had "taken preventative measures by closing the access road to prevent continuous illegal dumping in the area".

However, he said another a new illegal opening from adjacent land was discovered and trespassers are continuing with the illegal dumping.

"Upon discovery of illegal dumping activities on May 3, Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) immediately assisted to close the new illegal access by digging a one-metre trench across the road.

"MPSP had also initiated surveillance of the area by their enforcement squad," he said.

Mohd Bazid also said that the land the illegal dumpsite sits on was acquired by Penang Development Corporation (PDC) in 2012 through the state government.

"The land is presently held in the name of the state government and PDC is acting on behalf of the state government as the custodian for this land until PDC applies for land alienation.

"From our records, it is noted that the illegal dumping activities already happened before the state government acquired the said land,"

"So far no earthwork or construction work has been carried out by PDC in the area.

"PDC plans to develop the land into South Penang Science Park and submitted the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) to the Environment Department (DoE) on March 15 for the development of the industrial park," he said.

Mohd Bazid said the planning is subject to approval by the DoE, and PDC would then need to submit the Environment Management Plan (EMP) to manage erosion, sediment and stormwater at the project site to the DoE before commencing earthworks.

"Without the said approvals (EIA and EMP), no work is allowed to commence on site.

"On May 6, the PDC attended a meeting called by the Land Office.

"During the meeting, the PDC and MPSP agreed in a joint effort in removing the illegal dumping and take further preventive measures," Mohd Bazid added.

During an operation at the site last Friday (May 3), a truck was spotted coming in through a dirt path. But it quickly made a turn and drove away upon noticing the presence of the authorities. Piles of illegally dumped rubbish could be seen billowing in smoke.

Inside the 5,000 sq m dumpsite, sacks of plastic bags and piles of construction debris were seen.

The dumping is believed to be the work of culprits who had trespassed into the land located about 200m from the North-South Expressway.

Earlier in March, The Star reported about an illegal dumpsite of about 6.5ha in Bukit Teh near Machang Bubok which was an illegal sand quarry site years ago before it was turned into marshland.

Items such as discarded furniture, construction debris and food waste had filled up the waterlogged soil. There were also sacks of plastic pellets found at the site, which is located on private land.

 

 

Related stories:

‘It’s the biggest illegal site’


   

Across The Star Online