One dead, another critical from fumes in old fish container


  • Nation
  • Saturday, 27 Apr 2019

The Hazmat team checking on the spot where the two Indonesians inhaled the fumes.

KOTA KINABALU: An Indonesian national died while another is in critical condition after inhaling toxic gas from fish stored in a ship belonging to a freshwater fishing company in Sepanggar here.

The deceased has been identified as Hasril La Ridi, 42.

The other Indonesian victim, known only as Eni, 31, is in critical condition.

A team from the Hazardous Materials Unit (Hazmat) of the Kota Kinabalu Fire and Rescue Department was deployed to the scene after a report was received from Hospital Likas at about 12.03pm Saturday (April 27).

A representative from the Sabah Fire and Rescue Task Force Centre said the two victims fainted after inhaling poisonous gas while opening an old container used to store fish. 

"The deceased was declared dead at the scene by medical personnel, and his body was handed over to the police for further action.

"The other victim was taken to the hospital for treatment," said the representative in statement.

The Hazmat team carried out a test to identify the type of gas involved,  but could only ascertain that it was not ammonia.

The operation ended at around 2.30pm.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online