Shafie: Sabah has no issue with relocation of High Court registry


KOTA KINABALU: Sabah has no problem with the relocation of the Sabah and Sarawak High Court Registry from Kuching to Kota Kinabalu, says Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Shafie Apdal (pic).

He said Sabah and Sarawak are equal partners in the federation of Malaysia and it was not wrong to share certain things.

"I do not want to meddle in this matter. What I can say is that the relevant authorities, including the Prime Minister's Department can discuss and inform the Sarawak government first before taking any action," he said Thursday (April 25).

Shafie said what was most important was to have the best legal and judicial services provided for the people.

He said he also did not mind how long the Sabah and Sarawak High Court Registry would be in Sabah – as long as its purposes were met.

But he stressed that there was a need to inform and have a sit-down with the Sarawak government before making a decision.

"Even the amendment and issues pertaining to the Malaysia Agreement 1963 needs discussion, so it is only right that anything concerning the states are discussed properly," Shafie added.

He said Sabah and Sarawak were neighbours and it was important that they work hand in hand for mutual betterment.

Earlier this week, it was reported that a letter dated April 19 from the Federal Court's Chief Registrar announced that the Registry in Kuching would be moved to Kota Kinabalu effective May 1.

The Sarawak government had objected to the move, saying it was "unconstitutional" and did not comply with the rule of law.

The Advocates Association of Sarawak (AAS) said implementing the relocation without the Prime Minister consulting the Chief Minister of Sarawak, as required by Article 121(4) of the Federal Constitution, would have set a bad precedent.

Another letter dated April 23, however, stated that the planned relocation would not be implemented.