Jagdeep: Act against those who illegally dispose waste


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 21 Apr 2019

GEORGE TOWN: The state government wants the police to take action against the culprits who illegally disposed waste into the sea off Farquhar Street here.

State Housing, Local Government, Town and Rural Development Committee chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said a report has been lodged so that police could investigate.

“I will also personally ask the state Road Transport Department and the police to enhance the surveillance so that activities like this do not happen again.

“I am warning everyone that we have hundreds of CCTV’s on the island and mainland and as of May this year, there will be over 1,100 cameras all around the state.

“I urge the public to come forward if they come across anyone carrying out such activities,” he said.

Jagdeep said those caught illegally disposing of waste can be fined between RM1,000 and RM500,000, and jailed between one year and five years.

“There are designated dump sites available to discard the waste. The Jelutong landfill can still be used.

“We have closed four zones but one zone is specifically open for the construction waste.

“There are also regulated dump sites like the Pulau Burung landfill in Nibong Tebal.

“We are also in the process of creating a space in Bukit Teh, Bukit Mertajam, to replace the Jelutong landfill.

“I do not understand why even with designated places people still dump it illegally,” he said yesterday.

It was reported that the two men were seen emptying the waste, said to be from a construction site, into the sea at about 2pm on Friday.

A 90-second video of the incident has also gone viral.

State Environment Committee chairman Phee Boon Poh said the lorry had been identified via a CCTV camera.


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online