Minister urges action after video of Najib trial surfaces on social media


KOTA KINABALU: A video showing snippets of former premier Datuk Seri Najib Razak's court case on SRC International has been shared on various social media platforms including Facebook.

De facto law minister Datuk Liew Vui Keong is calling on court officials to take action against the uploaders as such recordings were not supposed to be shared on any media platforms without the consent of the judge.

"I was made to understand that his (Najib's) defence counsels obtained the permission to get copies of the proceeding's video recordings from the court," he said during a press conference in Sandakan Saturday (April 20).

He said from his understanding of the terms and conditions after obtaining such court recordings, one must get the approval from the chief judge before they are allowed to be shared on social media platforms.

"I think this should not be taken lightly and the court should take action against those who uploaded the videos," Liew said.

According to him, the clips which were obviously edited, gave false insight into what happened during the proceedings and thus, misled viewers as to what really occurred in the courtroom.

The less than three-minute clip which can also be viewed in YouTube shows a person who appears to be a lawyer cross-examining a witness on Najib's house renovation works, among other things.

Najib faces seven charges involving RM42mil belonging to SRC International.

On July 4 last year, Najib claimed trial to a charge of abuse of power and three counts of criminal breach of trust (CBT) linked to the 1MDB scandal.

He allegedly misappropriated RM42mil in funds belonging to SRC International.

On Aug 8, 2018, he appeared in court again for the second time and was charged with three counts of money laundering involving the same RM42mil