BUKIT MERTAJAM: The Seberang Prai Municipal Council (MPSP) is gathering information to charge landowners in court for operating the illegal dumpsite in Bukit Teh near Machang Bubok here.
In a statement released by the council, it said the landowners have submitted appeals and extended the notice period to rehabilitate the land, and eviction notice will be issued by the council once the notice on illegal construction of the wood pallet processing factory expires.
The statement, however, did not state the notice period.
“Landowners of Lots 1690, 1688, 1689 and 2049 have appealed to extend the notice period for several offences on illegal building.
“Eviction notice will be issued by MPSP’s building department once the illegal building notices expire.
“Departments in MPSP are gathering information to charge the landowners for other offences such as unauthorised earthwork,” said the statement on Monday.
It also stated that the council seized a 10-tonne lorry laden with construction waste on March 21, followed by seizure of two cargo containers containing animal food waste on March 28.
“MPSP enforcers are patrolling the area four times daily,” it said.
Last month, The Star exposed the 6.5ha dumpsite which was an illegal sand quarry site years ago before it was turned into a marshland.
A follow-up on April 11 found illegal dumping still ongoing despite the landowners being slapped with several notices to stop all illegal dumping activities and rehabilitate the land.
New mounds of discarded furniture, plastic waste, construction debris and planks were found while existing waste such as sacks of agricultural waste on the marshland remain uncleared. The wooden pallet processing factory was still operating without a licence.