JOHOR BARU: Candidates for state executive council positions and their portfolios are selected by the Pakatan Harapan component parties, and by not the Ruler of the state, says Johor PKR chief Hassan Abdul Karim (pic
"The names for the executive councillors are submitted by the component parties after a state Pakatan leadership meeting," said Hassan.
“Even the portfolios are decided by us, after which, we will provide the list to the palace,” he said, adding that the Ruler would then appoint the candidates after consultation with the Mentri Besar.
Hassan added that the Ruler cannot simply drop an executive council member or change their portfolio on his own as it was unconstitutional, adding that it would be seen as an interference from the palace.
“This is a serious matter,” he said on Saturday (April 13) when asked to comment about former Mentri Besar Datuk Osman Sapian’s statement that Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar wanted a change in the exco line-up.
Osman claimed that this change was among the conditions set by the Johor Ruler during his meeting on Saturday morning.
Hassan said that PKR no longer recognised Osman as the Pakatan state leader and added that they would leave it to Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (Pribumi) president Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to submit the list for the Mentri Besar's position.
“We met him in Kuala Lumpur and talked about this matter,” he said, adding that all state leaders from PKR, DAP, Bersatu and Amanah were present at the meeting.
He said there was a need for a peaceful transition of power.
Asked if he had been invited for the swearing-in of the new Mentri Besar at Istana Bukit Serene on Sunday, he said he had yet to receive an invitation.
“I was previously invited for Osman’s swearing-in,” he added.
Asked how PKR might react if the MB and the exco line-up changed – including their portfolios – he said that "we will cross that bridge when we come to it".