Inquest delayed as parties visit fire station in Subang Jaya

  • Nation
  • Friday, 12 Apr 2019

SHAH ALAM: Inquest proceedings into the death of firefighter Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim was postponed yesterday after the Coroner’s Court allowed the parties to visit the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Station to see the Emergency Medical Rescue Services (EMRS) van involved in the riot at Sri Maha Mariamman Temple, USJ 25, Subang Jaya, last year.

The parties included the inquest operators, Deputy Public Prosecu­tors Hamdan Hamzah and Faten Hadni Khairuddin, and lawyer Syazlin Mansor representing the Ministry of Housing and Local Government and the Fire and Rescue Department.

However, Coroner Rofiah Mohamad did not join this visit.

Also present were Hospital Kuala Lumpur (HKL) Forensic Department head Datuk Dr Mohd Shah Mahm­ood, HKL Forensic physician Dr Ahmad Hafizam Hasmi, and forensic and pathologist senior consultant at Tuanku Muhriz Chancellor’s Hospital Prof Dr Shahrom Abd Wahid.

The team arrived at the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Station at 11.30am and spent more than an hour checking the van and discus­sed issues raised in connection with the severe injuries to Muham­mad Adib, 24, during the commotion.

Earlier, Hamdan applied to see the condition of the van before he continued his inquest with his next question to Dr Shahrom.

Station chief Syed Shahril Anuar Syed Sulaiman, who was the 18th inquest witness, told the media that they were allowed to stay in the fire station for 15 minutes for the purpose of taking pictures only.

Muhammad Adib, who was also a member of the Subang Jaya Fire and Rescue Service Assistance Unit, was seriously injured in the riot on the site of Sri Maha Mariamman Temple on Nov 27 last year and breathed last on Dec 17 at the National Heart Institute.

The inquest continues today.


Across The Star Online

Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia