‘SJMC scans more relevant’

  • Nation
  • Thursday, 11 Apr 2019

SHAH ALAM: The CT scans taken of Muhammad Adib Mohd Kassim at Subang Jaya Medical Centre (SJMC) were a more relevant tool to explain how the fireman obtained his injuries instead of the scans taken from his autopsy at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital, says a forensic expert.

Dr Shahrom Abd Wahid, who was the 29th witness at the inquest into the death of Muhammad Adib, said the CT scans – taken on the day the fireman was admitted – were closer to the time when he was injured.

Deputy public prosecutor Hamdan Hamzah from the Attorney-General’s Chambers had asked him to explain Muhammad Adib’s fractured ribs using scans taken from the autopsy.“The questions are not relevant as they merely explain the mechanism leading to the fractures.

“These scans are from the post-mortem. We want to explain the events that night so SJMC’s (scans) are closer.

“For the post-mortem scans, there have been some (medical) interference,” he said.

Dr Shahrom also told the coroner’s court he did not visit the site of the incident when making his report, despite agreeing with DPP Hamdan that it was important.

DPP Hamdan: Did you go to the scene of the event?

Dr Shahrom: No. I was given a folder (of documents related to the case) and shown the videos of the event.

DPP Hamdan: Do you agree with me that for a reconstruction, one of the important elements is to see the scene

Dr Shahrom: Yes.

The forensic expert added that he made the professional decision not to visit the site where Muhammad Adib was injured as he felt he has all the materials needed.

Dr Shahrom, who is a former forensic pathologist at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre, was brought in by lawyer Syazlin Mansor, who is representing the Housing and Local Government Ministry, Fire and Rescue Department and Muhammad Adib’s family at the inquest, to assist with the investigation into the fireman’s death.

Yesterday was the 24th day of the inquest.

Judge Rofiah Mohamad sits as coroner

for the inquest at the Shah Alam Sessions Court.

Muhammad Adib, 24, was critically injured in the early morning of Nov 27 after he and his team members from the Subang Jaya fire station responded to an emergency call at the Seafield Sri Maha Mariamman temple where a riot was taking place.

The fireman was taken to SJMC after he was found injured, before being transferred to the National Heart Institute for further treatment.

He later died on Dec 17.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across The Star Online