Faulty aircon unit behind fire scare at Komtar


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 07 Apr 2019

GEORGE TOWN: A malfunctioned air-conditioning unit has been blamed for the smoke at Komtar on Friday which forced about 2,000 civil servants and state exco members, including the Chief Minister, to evacuate the building.

The Penang Development Corporation’s Setia Urus deputy chief executive officer Saw Kean Thai said initial investigation by the Fire and Rescue Department identified that the thick smoke from the building at 2.45pm was from a “smouldering insulation of the air-conditioning duct”.

“As the insulation material is non-combustible, there was only smoke but no fire,” he said, adding the evacuation had to be carried out after the fire alarm went off.

“We will be investigating further into the incident with the forensic team. No casualty has been reported and business is back to normal,” he said.

Setia Urus manages the iconic 65-floor complex in the heart of town. During the incident, the weekly state exco meeting on the 28th floor was also interrupted, with all the lawmakers having to leave the building.

A check by The Star at about 2.30pm yesterday showed that everything had returned to normal at Level 3.


   

Across The Star Online