Bersih 2.0 records no electoral offences


SEREMBAN: None of the candidates in the Rantau by-election has committed any electoral offences on the first day of campaigning, says electoral watchdog Coalition for Free and Fair Elections (Bersih 2.0).Bersih 2.0 executive director Yap Swee Seng said that its electoral observers had not received any complaints nor seen any offences committed by the candidates.

“We have recorded none so far. Bersih 2.0 has placed 13 observers on the ground but they are not necessarily there at all times,” said Yap.

Bersih 2.0 also depends on public complaints and feedback to know if electoral offences were committed.

Sunday was the first day of campaigning by the four candidates – Barisan Nasional’s Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, Pakatan Hara­pan’s Dr S. Streram, and independent candidates Mohd Nor Yassin and Malar Rajaram.

The campaigning will take place until polling day on April 13.

Bersih 2.0 had reported that the Semenyih by-election on March 2 saw a total of 35 cases of election offences and misconduct, the highest number among the six by-elections held since the 14th General Election.

Rantau By Election