Oh, behave! Bersih gives thumbs-up to all Rantau candidates


SEREMBAN: None of the four candidates in the Rantau by-election committed any electoral offence on the first day of campaigning, says electoral watchdog Coalition for Free and Fair Elections (Bersih 2.0).

Its executive director Yap Swee Seng said the watchdog’s observers have not received any complaints nor seen any offences committed by the four candidates.

“We have recorded none so far,” said Yap on Monday (April 1).

Sunday (March 31) was the first day of campaigning by the four candidates: Barisan Nasional's Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan, Pakatan Harapan's Dr S. Streram, and independent candidates Mohd Nor Yassin and R. Malar.

Rantau campaigning will take place until voting day on April 13.

The Semenyih by-election on March 2 saw 35 instances of election offences and misconduct, the highest number among the six by-elections held since the 14th General Election, said Bersih.

The 35 cases consisted of eight cases of undue influence, five of treating and gifting, three covering the promotion of ill-will using race and religion, two involving political violence and harassment, and 17 offences on polling day itself.

Pakatan allegedly committed the highest number of offences in Semenyih by election, it added.


   

Across The Star Online