KUANTAN: The proposed standard operating procedures (SOP) for bauxite mining have been lauded by an activist who has been waging a long campaign against its side effects.Gerakan Rakyat Hentikan Pencemaran Bauksit (Geram) chairman Ali Akbar Othman said from what he had read of the draft, there appeared to be improvements.
“It covers everything related to bauxite mining, from licensing to export. I will say it is positive.
“It is a good move on the part of the government and it shows that our complaints have at least been heard. After so long, an SOP has been published,” he said.
Ali Akbar said he would scrutinise the 174-page SOP in detail in order to raise questions at the public hearing scheduled here on April 14, and urged Kuantan residents to register for the event.
The Water, Land and Natural Resources Ministry explained in the draft SOP that engagements were held with related ministries, departments and agencies, including workshops in 2015 and 2016.
Another workshop was held from Oct 24 to 25 last year, which helped come up with improvements to be implemented in the chain of bauxite mining activities.
Felda Bukit Goh Village Community Management Council chief Jefri Salim said he would reserve his comments until after he has gone through the SOP.
Details on the SOP and public hearing registration are available at tinyurl.com/bauksit
Bauxite mining: Stringent SOPs proposed
Bauxite miners urged to wait a bit longer to ensure smooth operations