Umno’s bid to reclaim RM116.7mil struck out by High Court


KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court has struck out a lawsuit by Umno to reclaim RM116.7mil allegedly belonging to the party that was seized in police’s raids on properties linked to Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

Justice Nik Hasmat Nik Mohamad made the ruling after allowing an application by the Royal Malaysian Police and the government to strike out the suit. The court also ordered Umno to pay RM7,000 in costs.

This was informed by Senior Federal Counsel S. Narkunavathy who represented the police and the government when met outside the court after the proceedings in chambers.

She said the court had allowed the striking out application on grounds that the plaintiff had no reasonable cause of action to commence the legal action and that the party had no locus standi to file the suit against the defendants.

Meanwhile, Umno’s lawyer Datuk Hariharan Tara Singh said he had informed the judge that he would appeal against the court’s decision.

On Sept 21 last year, Umno’s public officer Datuk Seri Ab Rauf Yusoh filed the suit on behalf of the party naming Federal Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID) deputy director (Intelligence and operations) Datuk Mohd Sakri Arifin, then CCID Assistant Commissioner R. Rajagopal, Amar Singh, the Inspector-General of Police and the government as defendants.

In the statement of claim, Umno alleged that on May 17 last year, Mohd Sakri had conducted illegal search and seizure on the premises with a police raiding team.