PUTRAJAYA: The Federal Court has dismissed an application by the widow of the late Karpal Singh to include fresh evidence in a sedition appeal.
Chief Judge of Sabah and Sarawak Datuk David Wong, who led the five-man bench, said the introduction of the affidavit by Court of Appeal judge Datuk Dr Hamid Sultan Abu Backer was not material in the appeal.
Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo, who is Karpal’s daughter, told reporters that the court felt that the introduction of Hamid Sultan’s affidavit was premature at this stage as there was an ongoing police investigation, while the government had stated that it would set up a Royal Commission of Inquiry.
Sangeet also told reporters that in his ruling, Wong had said that it was open for parties to reconsider their positions after the investigations were completed.
Karpal’s widow, Gurmit Kaur, had filed an application last week to include the 65-paged affidavit.
In his affidavit filed in support of a lawsuit by Sangeet against Chief Justice Tan Sri Richard Malanjum, Hamid Sultan had alleged that there was judicial interference.
The sedition appeal is set for hearing before a seven-member bench on March 28.
Karpal, the late DAP national chairman, was convicted and fined RM4,000 in early 2014 for questioning the late Sultan of Perak Sultan Azlan Shah’s action in removing Datuk Seri Mohammad Nizar Jamaluddin as the mentri besar of Perak in 2009.
In May 2016, the Court of Appeal, in a 2-1 majority ruling, upheld Karpal’s conviction but allowed his appeal to reduce the fine from RM4,000 to RM1,800.
Karpal died in an accident along the North-South Expressway near Gua Tempurung on April 17, 2014. — Bernama