SHAH ALAM: The High Court here set next Wednesday (March 27) for the decision on the bail application of two teenagers charged with the murder of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.
Judge Ab Karim Ab Rahman said on Thursday (March 21) that he needed time to examine all the evidence and arguments presented before coming out with the decision.
He said the case was both complex and important.
The court had heard lengthy arguments from both the defence and the prosecution at the court, which was packed with family members and friends of the two juveniles.
Defence lawyer Hisyam Teh Poh Teik said the High Court could exercise discretion to allow bail as both defendants were below 16 when the alleged offence occurred.
"Children should not be incarcerated but need protection... The legal principles that they are innocent until proven guilty should apply," he said.
He added that the focus of the teenagers now was on education and not on absconding.
Teh had last week claimed that one of his clients was sexually assaulted while being held in detention and urged the court to transfer the boy from the detention centre in Sentul, Kuala Lumpur to Puncak Alam in Shah Alam, Selangor.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Datuk Jamil Aripin, however, argued that the case was non-bailable and that no special circumstances justified bail.
Jamil also said that the claims of sexual and physical assault against one of the teenagers were unfounded.
After the hearing, there was a slight altercation between members of the press and family members, although policemen present prevented the incident from escalating.
Earlier this month, Nazrin's widow Samirah Muzaffar, 44, and the two teenagers, 13 and 16, claimed trial for the murder of Nazrin.
They had been charged at the High Court under Section 302 of the Penal Code, which was read together with Section 34 of the same Act.
The trio were charged together with Indonesian national Eka Wahyu Lestari, who is still at large.
All four were accused of murdering Nazrin, 47, at a house in Mutiara Homes, Mutiara Damansara, between 11.30pm on June 13, 2018, and 4am the following day.
He was found with 30% burns on his body. The initial conclusion of accidental death was reclassified as murder following the findings of the Fire and Rescue Department’s forensic unit.
A second post-mortem was conducted on Nazrin’s remains, which were exhumed on Oct 8 last year, three months after his burial.
Samirah, a former senior executive at Intellectual Property Corp of Malaysia (MyIPO), had applied to postpone the exhumation and second post-mortem, but the Putrajaya Court of Appeal rejected her application.