KUCHING: Some of the 40 Sarawakians, who were detained in Cambodia recently, had gone to the country on previous occasions, say the police.
“We know for a fact that some of them have been there before this,” state CID chief Senior Asst Comm Denis Leong said.
He said police were still in the midst of carrying out investigations into the alleged job scam.
“We are also looking into elements of human trafficking and will be working closely with commercial CID officers.
“So far, we have recorded some statements and we are in the process of getting more witnesses to come forward,” SAC Leong said yesterday, adding they hoped to wrap up the probe in a couple of weeks.
Police have arrested three people in connection with the case.
A 35-year-old man, who was arrested on Saturday, had his remand order extended for another three days until March 3.
The application was granted by magistrate Faelly Jeffrey Lanjungan yesterday.
The remand order for two other suspects will end today.
The Sarawakians were among 47 Malaysians who went to Cambodia after receiving lucrative job offers.
The authorities there arrested them on Dec 11 on suspicion of being involved in illegal online gambling.
All of them were released from detention on Feb 15, following talks between the Malaysian and Cambodian governments.
They returned home on Feb 17.