Bauxite mining unlikely next month as Pahang govt yet to formulate SOP


KUANTAN: It looks unlikely that bauxite mining activities can restart in a month's time, says Kuantan MP Fuziah Salleh.

The Deputy Minister in the Prime Minister's Department said this was because a standard operating procedure (SOP) had not been made clear by the Pahang government.

"There is also the issue of the environmental impact assessment report which has yet to be submitted by the state government," Fuziah said.

She added that former minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar had previously proposed the delimitation of bauxite mining hectarage that required environmental impact assessment.

However, this has not been complied as the state government had not amended the relevant enactment.

Fuziah also said that Water, Land and Natural Resources Minister Dr Xavier Jayakumar's announcement that the bauxite mining moratorium would be lifted in April was subject to conditions.

"There appears to have been a misunderstanding over Dr Xavier's announcement.

"It was discussed in the Cabinet that the moratorium should only be lifted if the SOP was satisfactory. So technically, I do not see how the moratorium can be lifted next month," Fuziah said after visiting SM Chong Hwa here on Friday (March 1).

She was asked to respond to Datuk Seri Ti Lian Ker's video, in which the MCA vice-president claimed Fuziah was kept in the dark on an issue that was going to affect her constituents directly.

Also present were Teruntum assemblyman Sim Chon Siang and the school's management board chairman Tan Sri Pheng Yin Huah.


   

Across The Star Online