Loke’s press sec sorry about RTM remarks


  • Nation
  • Monday, 25 Feb 2019

PETALING JAYA: Transport Minister Anthony Loke’s press secretary has apologised for his public outburst against public broadcaster RTM last week.

Lim Swee Kuan made the apology after finding out that RTM was merely following its standard operating procedures (SOP) in showing only the Prime Minister’s speech during the live telecast of the Chinese New Year celebration in Seremban.

“I wish to apologise for my Facebook post dated Feb 17, 2019,” he said yesterday.

“I support media independence and freedom and would love that one day RTM can be truly transformed into a high-quality, professional public broadcaster.

“I fully support Minister Gobind’s proposal of setting up a media council. It is the right way to go to redefine the important role of state-owned media.”

The Communications and Multimedia Ministry has cleared RTM of any wrongdoing after the broadcast agency was accused by Lim of sabotage over a live telecast event.

Minister Gobind Singh Deo said based on the full report provided by RTM, he found that it had complied with its existing SOP.

Gobind had asked RTM for a report after Lim accused it of “sabotaging” the federal government because Loke’s speech at the 2019 Chinese New Year Open House was not broadcast that day.

Lim said then “heads must roll” over the matter.


   

Across The Star Online