Dr M: Highway takeover done according to Govt capability


  • Nation
  • Sunday, 24 Feb 2019

Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has said earlier that the FundMyHome scheme, touted the first of its kind in the world, will help the government to deliver its promise to build one million houses in 10 years.

LANGKAWI (Bernama): Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad says the takeover of highway concessions would be done according to the government's capability to do so.

He said talks with Gamuda Bhd to take over the four highway concessions in the Klang Valley were the first step taken by the government to fulfil its GE14 manifesto.

Since taking over the government, Dr Mahathir said the Pakatan Harapan (PH) had been thinking about how to fulfil their promises.

"We are focusing on what we can do, namely the highways in Kuala Lumpur, but we will be expanding to other tolls in other areas. We are doing it according to our capability," he told a press conference after launching the national-level My Healthy Village programme at the Langkawi parliamentary constituency service centre here Sunday (Feb 24). 

Commenting on the talks with Gamuda, Dr Mahathir said the process was being handled by Finance Minister Lim Guan Eng.

"We start with a few tolls just based on our capability, to stop the toll collection, the government must buy these roads (which) will cause huge expenses to the government," he said. - Bernama

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online