PETALING JAYA: Anthony Loke's press secretary has apologised for his public outburst against Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) last week.
Lim Swee Kuan made the apology after finding out that RTM was merely following its Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in showing only the Prime Minister's speech during the live telecast of the CNY celebration in Seremban.
"I wish to apologise for my Facebook post dated Feb 17, 2019.
I support media independence and media freedom and would love that one day RTM can be truly transformed into high quality, professional public broadcaster
"I fully support Minister Gobind's proposal of setting up a Media Council. It is the right way to go to redefine the important role of state-owned media," he said in a statement on Sunday (Feb 24).
The Communications and Multimedia Ministry had cleared RTM of any wrongdoing after the broadcast agency was accused of sabotage over a live telecast event by Lim, who is the press secretary of Transport Minister Anthony Loke.
Minister Gobind Singh Deo said based on the full report provided by RTM, he found that it had complied with its existing SOP.
Gobind had asked RTM for a report after Loke's aide accused RTM of "sabotaging" the federal government after Loke's speech at the 2019 Chinese New Year Open House was not broadcast on Feb 17, saying that "heads must roll".
Did you find this article insightful?