IPOH: A man lost nearly RM150,000 after several failed transactions using Point of Sale (PoS) devices.
The victim, Yong Jun Heung, lodged a police report in July 2018 after he did not receive RM31,621 in payments made by customers using the device in June last year.
"A group of foreigners came to my shop on June 21, 2018 and purchased several health and wellness products worth RM31,621.
"The transaction was made using the PoS system that was handled by a third-party company.
"A few days later, I contacted the company and they told me that the payment was being withheld.
"It has been months since the report was made and I have not received any updates about the payment.
"However, I was told by one of the company representatives that I will not be getting my money," said Yong, who was accompanied by Perak MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau chief Low Gua Nan.
Yong was struck by another piece of bad luck in December 2018 when two other payments worth RM112,996.90, using different PoS machines, were once again withheld.
"We used new PoS machines after the first report was made. On Dec 11, 2018, two transactions were made by different customers using these.
"The next day, I went to the bank and found out that the payment was withheld. When I did a online check on my account on Dec 18, the money was not in," said Yong, who filed a second report Jan 22.
He added that he also failed to receive two payments for RM5,397 on Dec 15 and RM5,343 on Dec 16.
"I am no longer accepting card payments," said Yong.
Meanwhile, Low said all the devices were in the possession of the third-party companies and not the police.
"I wonder why the police did not seize these devices for further investigations.
"Yong has lost nearly RM150,000 over the matter, so we hope the police will take the issue seriously," said Low.
What do you think of this article?