Fishermen abducted by Abu Sayyaf in good condition, says Sabah CPO


SANDAKAN: The three fishermen kidnapped by members of Abu Sayyaf near Kinabatangan last December are in good condition, says Sabah police commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah.

Comm Omar said a source had informed the Malaysian authorities about the men's wellbeing.

He added that the case was still under investigation and efforts to hunt the suspects are actively being carried out by the authorities.

"As I have mentioned before, the suspects demanded a ransom of RM4mil in their previous call to us.

"So far, we have not received any new calls from the suspects," he told reporters when met at a community walkabout programme at the netball stadium in Bandar Kimfung on Friday (Feb 15).

According to Comm Omar, security forces in the Philippines are also extending their fullest cooperation to Malaysia in tracking down the victims and suspects.

Three fishermen - two Indonesians and a Malaysian - were abducted from waters off Sabah on Dec 5.

They were taken from their trawler in the Pegasus Reef area off the Kinabatangan district.

They were reportedly being held in Jolo under the guard of Abu Sayyaf member Halimau, a close lieutenant of Abu Sayyaf sub-commander Hatib Hajan Sawdjan.

Hatib is believed to be the key sponsor for the cross-border kidnapping raids.