Siti Kasim claims she will not be charged over middle finger incident


  • Nation
  • Monday, 11 Feb 2019

SHAH ALAM: The Attorney General’s Chambers (AGC) has decided to drop charges against activist lawyer Siti Kasim (pic) for showing her middle finger to people who were heckling her and shouting at her.

The incident is believed to have occurred around two years ago.

Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat said the investigation papers were called back to the AGC on Sunday (Feb 10).

“After reviewing all the facts of the case and statements, the AGC decided that the order to prosecute, which was made on April 18 last year, be dismissed,” he said when contacted on Monday (Feb 11).

It was reported that Siti questioned why there are moves to charge her under Section 509 of the Penal Code when others have been let off for similar offences.

According to Siti, an inspector called her about purported instructions to immediately charge her under the law pertaining to a word or gesture intended to insult the modesty of a person.

She claimed that she knows “the officer in charge of criminal investigations Selangor” has been trying to put her behind bars.

“Inspector Sugen from IPD Subang referred my case again to our current AGC and they have decided to NFA (no further action) it!

“Thank you to IPD Subang, especially the Inspector, for taking the file again to the current AG Chambers to check the validity of this malicious charge,” she said on her Facebook page on Monday (Feb 11).

Siti added that she is thankful as “finally good sense prevailed”.

She also said the Enforcement Agency Integrity Commission investigated what happened to her and Anis Nur Izzaty Ruzlan, and she asked what had resulted from the probe.

Anis Nur was Siti’s client at the time, who sought refuge in the lawyer’s home from an allegedly abusive mother last June.