Mawar Haemodialysis Centre faces closure due to lack of funds


The Mawar Medical Centre in Seremban.

SEREMBAN: Mawar Haemodialysis Centre (MHC), which ranks among the country’s largest non-profit private dialysis centres, will be forced to stop treating its patients in two weeks as it does not have the funds to operate.

The MHC management said it will be forced to take the drastic measure to close its 13 centres as the Health Ministry has yet to approve an application for a new licence to operate its private wing, the Mawar Medical Centre (MMC).

The MHC, which provides treatment to 798 dialysis patients nationwide, is part financed by revenue generated by the MMC.

Centre chairman Datin Chua Lay Ping said if the management does not receive any news from the ministry in a fortnight, it will notify its patients to look for treatment elsewhere.

"Since the ministry ordered us to close the MMC in November, we have not been able to generate revenue to finance the MHC.

"So, now we will be forced to shut the dialysis centre as well as lay off our workers as we do not have the money to pay them their salaries for February," she told reporters on Thursday (Jan 31).

The Health Ministry had ordered the MMC to cease operations in November after all but one of its specialists resigned.

It was also given two months to sort out its licensing issues. However, the management failed to comply and its licence was revoked on Jan 12.

Since then, the management has appointed a third party to run the MMC but the ministry has yet to approve an application for a new licence.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Bersatu crisis: Raub, Lipis divisions dissolved today
Smooth traffic reported on several main highways as at 9.40pm
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Pahang Sultan, Tengku Ampuan express sadness, sympathy at Trooper Indiran's death
Perak urges use of reusable bags ahead of ban on single-use plastics
Ramadan bazaars: A beloved annual tradition for Malaysians
Bersatu appoints new task force to restructure divisions, wings
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Amanah looks at contesting 20 seats in Johor polls, subject to talks within PH, says state party chief

Others Also Read