RCI to probe mass graves in Wang Kelian


  • Nation
  • Monday, 28 Jan 2019

ARAU: A Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) has been set up to investigate the existence of human-trafficking camps and graves in Wang Kelian, which were uncovered three years ago, says Home Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.

He said the names of the RCI members would be handed over to the Yang di-Pertuan Agong for consent.

Muhyiddin, however, did not mention when the list would be submitted nor the names of the RCI members.

“The police previously carried out investi­gations and prepared reports on these matters, but we decided to set up the RCI to avoid any misunderstanding or prejudices,” he told reporters after attending the Perlis Malay Congress dialogue session here yesterday.

He said the commission would be given six months to probe into the two matters before tabling its report.

In May 2015, the police announced the discovery of human-trafficking camps and mass graves in Wang Kelian.

Commenting on potential threats posed by the 24-hour opening of border entry points along the Malaysia-Thailand border, Muhyiddin said the security of the people and the country would always be the government’s top priority.

He said the government would see if there was a need to increase the number of personnel at these border entry points, which would be open round-the-clock from April 1.

“We want these border entry points to be safe, where people from both countries, especially Malaysia and Thailand, can come and go and trade in an orderly manner,” he said. — Bernama


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Government , RCI , Bukit Kelian

   

Across The Star Online