Up to RM300 fine for six traffic offences


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019

SEREMBAN: The maximum RM300 fine will be slapped on motorists for six major offences during Ops Selamat this Chinese New Year, says Deputy Inspector General of Police Tan Sri Noor Rashid Ibrahim.

Strict enforcement is necessary to reduce road fatalities during the holiday period and the two-week operation will start on Jan 29.

The major offences include speeding, beating the red light, overtaking along double lines and using a handphone while driving.

Those who cut queues and drive along emergency lanes will also be slapped with the maximum fine.

“The number of fatalities during the last three Chinese New Year celebrations may have seen a downtrend but we need to continue educating road users on the importance of obeying traffic rules.

“That is why we will issue on-the-spot summonses to those who violate the six rules,” he said after launching Ops Selamat 14 at the north-bound R&R along the North-South Expressway (NSE) here yesterday.

There were 226 road fatalities reported throughout the Ops Selamat exercise held during Chinese New Year last year.

The bulk of the fatalities was motorcyclists and pillion riders.

“The police will monitor traffic flow along all major roads and highways but our focus will be on blackspot areas and stretches which registered a high number of fatalities,” he said.

Noor Rashid said the number of traffic summonses issued in 2018 increased to 385,547 from 255,392 the previous year.

Almost 70% of the summonses were for the six major traffic offences.

“It is important for motorists to abide by traffic rules as the number of vehicles on the road is expected to increase during the festive period,” he said.

Highway concessionaire PLUS is estimating 1.9 million vehicles daily during the peak holiday period compared to 1.6 million on normal days.

Noor Rashid said police had agreed to a PLUS request to open emergency lanes along two stretches of the NSE in Perak to traffic during the period.

Noor Rashid said police patrol in residential and commercial areas during the break would be increased.

In Kuala Lumpur, City police chief Comm Datuk Seri Mazlan Lazim said the annual traffic safety awareness campaign would be held from Jan 29 to Feb 12.

He said police had identified several roads that were accident-prone and that would be paid close attention to, including Jalan Kepong, Jalan Ipoh, Jalan Duta, Jalan Kuching, Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Ampang, Middle Ring Road 2, Jalan Sungai Besi, Jalan Cheras and Jalan Klang Lama.

“We will also be cracking down on drivers who use their mobile phones while driving, and those who cut queues, abuse the emergency lane and jump the red light,” he said.

traffic , Chinese New Year