KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Forestry Department has refuted claims that illegal logging activities were carried out at the Sandakan Rainforest Park.
According to the chief forest conservator Datuk Mashor Mohd Jaini, the Department had been bombarded with complaints and queries as to why this was allowed at a protected area.
"Photos of uprooted trees and excavators as well as purported videos taken at the site are being circulated, painting a bad image of the state government," he said.
He said that the uprooted trees were in fact a result of a violent storm on Aug 17, 2018, which caused damage to trees at the park.
"Facilities at the park were also damaged and work had to be conducted to clear all paths blocked by fallen branches and trees, as well as to replant the damaged trees," Mashor said.
He said the repair works were needed to ensure all visitors to the park would be safe.
He assured the public that no illegal logging or similar activities were conducted.
Mashor thanked the public for their concern and asked that such information be provided to the department directly instead spreading it on social media.