KOTA KINABALU: There is no major cholera outbreak in Sabah, as feared by social media users following the spreading of a letter believed to have been issued by the Health Department informing its staff about a detected case.
Sabah Health and Wellbeing minister Datuk Stephen Wong said he was informed by the state Health Director, Datuk Dr Christina Rundi that there was no need for concern at the moment as the letter was only to inform staff to be on alert for such cases.
He said the doctor told him that the letter was just one of the usual alert letters that department heads would disseminate to staff.
There are no issues of concern on cholera at the moment and the director will update it personally, if there is a need, he said.
The letter which was circulated in many WhatsApp groups caused concern among users, asking whether the situation was bad.
They also questioned why the Health Department did not inform the public about such cases, even though only one was stated so far.
Rundi in a text message urged the public to stop spreading the letter on any social media platform to avoid confusion and panic.
In the letter dated Jan 8 forwarded to various hospital directors including the Gleneagles Hospital, KPJ Specialist, Jesselton Medical Center and the Rafflesia Medical Centre, it is written that a cholera case was detected in Inanam near here on Jan 7.
The letter was dispensed to inform hospitals to increase their screening for detection of cholera symptoms among patients.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!