'Speedy Gonzales' deal: MACC records statement from Tourism Ministry sec-gen


PETALING JAYA: The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has recorded a statement from Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry secretary-general Datuk Rashidi Hasbullah.

It is learnt that this is related to the ongoing probe into the controversial RM99mil contract for a company to act as a go-between for Tourism Malaysia and a China-based firm to promote Malaysia via a digital advertising campaign.

Rashidi was at the MACC headquarters in Putrajaya on Friday (Jan 11) from 9.30am to 12.30pm.

Sources said he has also been told to present himself at the headquarters for a second round of questioning on Saturday (Jan 12).

Sources added that more people might be called in for questioning as the investigating team probes deeper.

On Tuesday (Jan 8), former Tourism Malaysia chairman Datuk Siew Ka Wai and a company CEO Elizabeth Ken Tze Ying, 32, were arrested by the MACC.

Sources familiar with the case said Siew is believed to have used his position to propose that the company, which was owned by his acquaintance, was appointed directly for a lucrative project.

The contract was said to be approved in just a day and did not follow Tourism Malaysia’s procurement regulations.

Siew and Ken’s remand orders expire on Saturday.

It was reported in June last year that MACC had “visited” the Tourism, Arts and Culture Ministry after former Tourism Malaysia chairman Wee Choo Keong called on authorities to look into the awarding of the controversial contract.

Wee dubbed the contract a “Speedy Gonzales” deal, as it was allegedly signed within a day.

He said he had evidence of wrongdoing to back his claims.