MELAKA: Firemen took over four hours to contain and clean up a 500-litre nitric acid spill at the Cheng Technology Park here.
The acid was spilled while being tranferred by staff at a factory manufacturing computer components on Friday night.
Melaka Fire and Rescue Department assistant director (Operations) Zulkifli Nordin said it took over four hours to neutralise the acid and clean the spill using soda ash during the operation that ended at 1.09am yesterday.
“We received an emergency call about the incident at 7.52pm on Friday and sent a fire engine from the Kubu station, the Emergency Medical Rescue Services Unit and a Rapid Intervention Motorcycle Unit involving 15 firemen to the scene.
“We arrived 15 minutes later but had to wait for the arrival of the Hazardous Materials Unit from Alor Gajah with 15 personnel who came at 8.30pm,” he told reporters.
The spilled acid, said Zulkifli, must first be collected before it could be disposed off.
The spill, he added, covered a 10sq m area outside the factory, adding that the acid was corrosive in nature and could cause breathing difficulties, unconsciousness and even skin problems.
Zulkifli said no untoward incident was reported as the factory management had taken appropriate action. — Bernama
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!