Najib and Rosmah seek to strike out Deepak’s RM676mil suit


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 01 Jan 2019

KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak and his wife are seeking to strike out a RM676mil suit filed by carpet businessman J.R. Deepak Jaikishan against them for tort of conspiracy and interference in a property deal that allegedly caused his company to suffer huge losses.

Lawyer David Mathews, representing the former prime minister and Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, said the application to strike out the suit would be filed at the High Court before Jan 7.

He told reporters this after meeting High Court judge Azimah Omar in chambers and added his clients filed their defence against Deepak’s suit yesterday and the judge set Jan 14 for case management.

Deepak’s lawyer, Irzan Iswat Mohd Nor, said that two other defendants named in the suit – Boustead Holdings Bhd and its subsidiary Bakti Wira Development Sdn Bhd – also had filed their applications to strike out the suit.

The two companies were represented by lawyer Kenny Chan.

On Oct 12, Deepak, 46, filed the suit, claiming that he had suffered losses due to conspiracy, fraud and undue influence by the defendants.

He claimed that as a director and major shareholder of Astacanggih Sdn Bhd, he had signed a land deal with the director and major shareholder of Awan Megah (M) Sdn Bhd, Raja Ropiaah Raja Abdullah, over three pieces of land, involving 181.9ha in Mukim Kapar, Klang and Mukim Bukit Raja, in the Petaling district.

Deepak also claimed that a deposit payment of RM13mil had been made by Astacanggih to Awan Megah and a land bond for RM72.5mil from Kuwait Finance House (M) Bhd was submitted to the government.

He is now seeking RM600mil in general damages, RM50mil in exemplary damages and RM26mil in aggrava­ted damages. — Bernama


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Courts & Crime , najib , rosmah , deepak

   

Across The Star Online