‘Sivarraajh cannot contest Camerons by-election’


  • Nation
  • Friday, 21 Dec 2018

It’s the law: Rayer says Sivarraajh is disqualified from contesting in the upcoming by-election on Jan 26.

GEORGE TOWN: MIC Youth chief Datuk C. Sivarraajh should be disqualified from contesting in the upcoming elections to reclaim the Cameron Highlands seat, Jelutong MP R.S.N. Rayer said.

Rayer said Sivarraajh is not qualified to contest in the upcoming by-election on Jan 26 as he violated the Election Offences Act 1954 in the last general election.

“According to Section 37 of the Act, it is stated that anyone found guilty of committing an election offence would have his victory disqualified.

“The Act clearly states that a candidate whose victory has been disqualified cannot contest again,” he said in a statement.

Sivarraajh, who contested in the elections on May 9, had won the constituency with a 597-vote majority.

However, on Nov 30, the Election Court ruled that there had been vote-buying from Barisan Nasional during the election campaign and Sivarraajh’s victory was annulled.

Orang asli leaders had also testified that six of them received a total of RM2,100, including RM200 “duit rokok”, from Barisan’s side a few days before polling.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Across The Star Online