KUALA LUMPUR: Eleven Malaysians are keen to return home from the horrors of the Islamic State (IS) terror group’s war in Syria, said Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun (pic).
The Inspector-General of Police said the Malaysians, four adults and seven children, have contacted Bukit Aman for help in coming home.
“This is still in the planning stages. We have to take into account several aspects of security and risks faced by them and the team sent to ensure their safe return,” he told a special press conference in Bukit Aman on Thursday (Oct 25).
The Special Branch Counter Terrorism Division has so far identified 54 Malaysians - 23 men, 11 women, 12 boys and eight girls - who are still in Syria, the IGP added.
“Since 2013, we discovered that 102 Malaysians have gone to Syria. 11 of them have returned home while 37 men have been killed in Syria and Iraq.
“The remaining 54 are still in Syria with the Islamic State (IS) militant group,” he said.
Mohamad Fuzi said some of those still in Syria were trapped in the Deir Ez Zour and Al Bukamal districts.
“They are moved around a lot based on the offensive operations by Syrian and Russian forces on IS and rebels’ strongholds.
“Some of them are even at refugee camps in northern Syria while others are imprisoned by Syrian rebels,” he said, adding that authorities are quite worried about the plight of Malaysians in Syria.
The country’s top cop advised those still in Syria to return to Malaysia given the volatile situation in the Arab nation.
“Think of the plight of their family members, especially the wives and children who are living very hard and miserable lives.
“They should take the opportunity given by the government and the Royal Malaysia Police.
"We are genuinely concerned about their safety, especially those who have repented from militant ways,” he said.