ADVERTISEMENT

Two teens die after falling asleep in car with engine running


KOTA KINABALU: Two teenagers died – believed to be from carbon monoxide poisoning – after they fell asleep in a car with its engine running near Kg Jaya Baru in east coast Kinabatangan district on Wednesday (Oct 10).

The duo, who were found reclining on the front seats by villagers, were initially thought to be asleep.

However, the boys did not respond when a villager knocked on the car window and shook the car in an attempt to wake them up.

Kinabatangan police chief Supt A. Sahak said a team of investigators were sent to the scene after receiving a call at about 11.46am.

"We found the car parked by the roadside and with the two boys (names withheld), aged 19, pronounced dead at the scene," he said.

He said the bodies were taken to the hospital for post-mortem.

It is learnt that the boys were sleeping in the car with its engine running and air-conditioner on for hours before they were found.

   

ADVERTISEMENT