PETALING JAYA: The two teenagers who were detained in connection with the murder of Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan have been released from their remand.
They were spotted being escorted out of the Mutiara Damansara police station, with their faces covered with newspaper, at around 8pm on Wednesday (Sept 12).
They got into waiting car quickly which drove out soon after.
Selangor CID chief Senior Asst Comm Fadzil Ahmat confirmed the release.
This comes after the Shah Alam High Court on Wednesday (Sept 12) granted a revision on the seven-day remand order issued by the magistrate's court on the two teens.
Judge Datuk Ab Karim Ab Rahman, in making the decision, said the court found there was no strong justification submitted by the investigation officer to remand the two teenagers aged 14 and 16 from Sept 9 to 15.
"There is no justification to detain the two teenagers for seven days.
"So I revised the remand order to end at 5pm today," he said when granting the revision submitted by the teenagers' counsel, Hisyam Teh Poh Teik.
Ab Karim in his judgment said the Petaling Jaya Magistrate's Court was not meticulous in considering the need to remand the two teenagers where a period of two to three days would have been sufficient to investigate them.
Nazrin was killed in a fire at his home on June 14.
Early last month, police reclassified the case as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code following a forensic investigation by the Fire and Rescue Department.
He was found dead after being trapped in a fire on the upper floor of his house in Mutiara Damansara.
Nazrin's wife and her ex-husband had earlier been detained to help in investigations, but the latter was released.
The wife is being remanded until Thursday (Sept 13).
Court frees teenagers remanded over Cradle CEO's murder
Cops raid house of murdered Cradle Fund CEO’s widow