ADVERTISEMENT

Court frees teenagers remanded over Cradle CEO's murder


A file picture of one of the teenagers (with head covered) as he was brought into court for the remand hearing on Sept 9, 2018.

A file picture of one of the teenagers (with head covered) as he was brought into court for the remand hearing on Sept 9, 2018.

KUALA LUMPUR: The Shah Alam High Court has released the two teenagers remanded in connection with the murder of the late Cradle Fund Sdn Bhd chief executive officer Nazrin Hassan.

When contacted, the duo's counsel Hisyam Teh Poh Teik said Justice Ab Karim Ab Rahman ruled that the seven-day remand order issued by the Petaling Jaya magistrate's court on Sunday (Sept 9) was not justified.

Teh, who was assisted by L.S. Leonard, said Justice Ab Karim also ruled that the magistrate should have exercised a balance between the teenagers' interest and the police investigation.

"In other words, the remand order must have well-founded grounds to connect the crime to the boys," he said on Wednesday (Sept 12).

He said Justice Ab Karim freed his clients after submissions from both parties in the application to review the remand order.

Ahmad Nazneen Zulkifli was the deputy public prosecutor.

On Sept 9, the police obtained a remand order against the teenagers, aged 14 and 16, under Section 117 of the Criminal Procedure Code.

Nazrin was killed in a fire at his home on June 14.

Early last month, police reclassified the case as murder under Section 302 of the Penal Code following a forensic investigation by the Fire and Rescue Department.

He was found dead after being trapped in a fire on the upper floor of his house in Mutiara Damansara.

Crime , Court , Cradle CEO , Nazrin Hassan , Remand , Murder

   

ADVERTISEMENT