BUKIT MERTAJAM: Although the Mengkuang Dam expansion project has been completed, an 11km stretch of the road surrounding the dam is still closed to the public to allow repair works at 23 landslide sites.
Chief Minister Chow Kon Yeow said the repair works were expected to take between 18 and 24 months to complete.
“The landslides happened during the stormy weather in September to November last year.
“The Water, Land and Natural Resources Ministry is in the process of awarding tenders to contractors to repair the damaged sites.
“Once all the repairs have been completed, the dam will be handed over to the Perbadanan Bekalan Air Pulau Pinang Sdn Bhd (PBAPP),” he said during a site visit yesterday.
Meanwhile, Chow said the Meng-kuang Dam was expected to operate at full capacity in 2020.
“The expansion work is to increase the maximum capacity from 22 billion litres to 73.5 billion litres so that there will be no water rationing in Penang,” he said.
He said the expansion works were completed on April 10 last year but the defect liability period would only end on Nov 16, 2019.
Chow further said other works involving the upgrading of the Mak Sulong pumping station to increase raw water pumping capacity from 200 million litres per day (MLD) to 400 MLD from Sungai Kulim to help fill up the Mengkuang Dam was completed on Sept 28 last year.
“The third component is the laying of 6.85km of 1.6m diameter mild steel pipelines from the Mak Sulong pumping station to the Sungai Dua canal to upgrade the delivery capacity from 300 MLD to 600 MLD.
“It’s expected to be completed by 2020,” he said.
Also present were PBAPP chief executive officer Datuk Jaseni Maidinsa and Penanti assemblyman Dr Norlela Ariffin.