KOTA KINABALU: Six tour operators who have been offering illegal fishing packages to tourists within the protected Tunku Abdul Rahman marine park here have been compounded.
“They are given a stern warning and fined RM3,000 each,” said Sabah Parks assistant director Maipol Sipait.
“The enforcement team identified the culprits through a special operation dubbed Ops Pancing on Wednesday,” Maipol told a press conference at the Sabah Parks jetty here yesterday.
He said the tour operators were aware of the fishing ban within the marine park as there had been several briefings on this.
However, conservationists have seen an increase in fishing activities involving tourists, prompting them to alert the authorities.
In a statement, Sabah Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Christina Liew hoped all tour operators in Sabah would comply with the law and that the culprits should not repeat their offence.
Did you find this article insightful?