Esscom says kidnap risk claim by actors off Semporna unverified, dubious


  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 29 Aug 2018

KOTA KINABALU: Security forces in Sabah are calling on two male actors who claimed they were at risk of being kidnapped by pirates while filming in waters off Semporna recently to lodge a police report.

Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) Commander Datuk Hazani Ghazali said Hairul Azreen and Ammar Alfian should have gone to the authorities immediately if they felt they were at risk instead of giving "unverified" information during media interviews.

“The statement which came out in Harian Metro on Aug 28 has caused unnecessary panic and worry, especially among West Malaysians,” he said in a statement here Wednesday (Aug 29).

Ammar said the "information" given by the actors was also dubious as Esscom itself did not know of any attempted kidnapping throughout 2017 and so far this year.

Hazani said throughout the filming of the movie PASKAL, the actors and the film crew were escorted and guarded by security forces.

“Even if the statement was just a gimmick to lure viewers, they should have been done properly without confusing the public on the security situation in Sabah,” he said.

The news article quoted Hairul as saying they were told by the film production crew about the attempted kidnapping.

He said the crew had told them that they had to stay overnight at an oil rig as there was not enough money to pay for hotel rooms.

Hairul said it was only after the filming that the crew allegedly "came clean" and told them that they had to stay on the rig due to security concerns.

They were told pirates were trying to kidnap them after finding out that there were "actors at sea".


Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 7
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Across The Star Online