MELAKA: A senior government official and a businessman are under a graft probe for allegedly attempting to solicit kickbacks from a mega developer in the state.
Sources said the two were questioned by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) following a report lodged on an attempt to solicit kickbacks amounting to millions of ringgit to prevent a huge project from being shelved.
It is learnt that raids were conducted at the senior official’s office here as part of the investigation last week.
Melaka Chief Minister Adly Zahari said he will not intervene in the probe although the person allegedly involved is part of his administration.
"We should walk the talk to be a transparent state government and MACC should carry out its responsibility," he said when met on Monday (Aug 27).
Messages have also gone viral on the alleged involvement of the senior official that RM2.6mil was demanded from the developer.
Former Melaka chief minister Datuk Seri Idris Haron recently claimed that several developers sought his advice after attempts to solicit kickbacks from them.
“These developers have done projects during my administration and as they are known to me, I advised them to lodge reports with the MACC.
“I believe many of them have lodged reports,’’ he added.A senior official of the mega project in question, when contacted, said she was not aware of the MACC probe as she had just returned from overseas.
Did you find this article insightful?