KUANTAN: Pahang Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail is appealing to the Federal Government to reconsider the cancellation of the East Coast Rail Link (ECRL) project.
Besides causing the loss of jobs, Wan Rosdy said the move would be a loss to Pahang, Terengganu and Kelantan where early construction work had been carried out.
"In Pahang itself, the progress has already reached 13 to 14% so far. At sites like Genting and Bentong, tunnel boring works for ECRL's underground rail have already begun.
"The land acquisition application is already at the state legal adviser's office and this includes privately-owned land that has to be gazetted to determine compensation," he said in a statement issued Thursday.
According to the statement, up to 1,394.4ha of land involving 1,545 lots across a distance of 232.5km in Bentong, Temerloh, Bera, Maran and Kuantan would be part of the project.
Of the land area, about 385ha or 27.6% were government land while the rest were private land, Malay reserve land and forest reserves.
"Therefore, I appeal on behalf of the state government and those affected by the cancellation, especially workers who will be laid off, for the Federal Government to reconsider the decision," said Wan Rosdy.
On Tuesday (Aug 21), Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad announced the cancellation of both the ECRL and two gas pipeline projects owing to the country's financial situation.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!