Counsel for couple in inquest into Dutch model's death ordered to leave courtroom

  • Nation
  • Wednesday, 15 Aug 2018

KUALA LUMPUR: A Coroner’s Court asked the counsel for a couple who were last seen with Dutch model Ivana Esther Robert Smit before she was found dead at a condominium unit in Dang Wangi to leave the courtroom.

GM Tan, who was holding a watching brief for American Alex Johnson, 44, and his wife Luna, 31, was asked to leave by Coroner Mahyon Talib after the couple failed to turn up despite being subpoenaed by the court.

“You are free to leave,” Coroner Mahyon told Tan on Wednesday (Aug 15).

Tan had earlier told the court that he could not confirm whether the couple would be attending the proceedings.

Counsel Sankara Nair, who is holding a watching brief for Smit’s family, objected to Tan’s presence, saying that there was no point in him participating when his clients were not going to be part of the proceedings.

"It was important for both (Alex and Luna) to come to give their evidence as they were the last persons seen with Ivana before she died," he said during the inquest proceedings.

The inquest is being carried out to determine Smit’s cause of death.

She fell to her death from the balcony of the CapSquare Residences condominium unit on Dec 7, last year.

Ivana Esther Robert Smit

On the day Smit was found dead, the three had been out all night partying before coming back in the wee hours of the morning.

Police witness Lans Corp Ahmad Fabian Ismail said the couple's room was messy but there were no signs of a struggle or fight, adding that he found nothing suspicious there.

Ahmad Fabian said he later inspected two other rooms but found nothing suspicious there either.

"Luna later walked into the main room and brought out a white T-shirt and black short skirt. Luna, however, did not hand over a pair of knee-length, black-coloured boots," he said.

The boots are believed to belong to Smit.

During the afternoon's proceedings, the couple's maid, Nur Maisara Makha Abdullah, testified that Luna asked her to pick her daughter up from the kindergarten the day before Smit's death.

Nur Maisara said Luna called around 8pm on her day off, asking her to pick up the girl as she (Luna) would only be back after 9pm.

To a question by Sankara on whether she asked Luna why she had to go get the girl so late, Nur Maisara replied: "I did ask her but she did not explain".

The hearing continues on Thursday (Aug 16).

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

nation , Ivana Esther Robert Smit , inquest , court


Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site