SHAH ALAM (Bernama): An inspection by the Shah Alam City Council (MBSA) at an ice factory in Section 36 here, where ammonia gas had leaked earlier, found that the premises had a licence to carry out ice processing activities, but was not permitted to store hazardous materials.
MBSA in a statement said it had ordered the plant to temporarily stop operations.
"Fire and Rescue personnel are on-site to carry out rescue work and are working to ensure that the plant and its surrounding areas are not contaminated with the gas.
"At the same time, the MBSA's quick response team is also on-site to assist firemen and the police to monitor the situation in the area," the statement said Monday.
In the incident at 5.12am, two factory workers were killed, while 18 others were injured after inhaling leaked ammonia gas at the premises.
Meanwhile, Selangor Health director Datuk Dr Khalid Ibrahim in a statement said that the number of factory workers exposed to the ammonia gas was 27 including the two who were killed.
Of the total, he said, 10 were incubated, nine were placed under hospital monitoring, and six were allowed to go home and were taught the signs of ammonia gas poisoning.
"The effects of ammonia gas poisoning can be divided into three different levels, namely mild, moderate and severe.
"Signs of poisoning are headaches, cough, nose and eye irritation, and drooling of saliva ... it also causes irritation and burns on exposed skin," he said, urging those who may be affected to seek immediate medical attention.
Earlier, residents of Pangsapuri Seri Era located 250m from the ice factory had called on the government to relocate the plant to another area.
The apartment's resident committee chairman R. Ramasami said a similar incident had occurred at the plant two years ago.