KUALA LUMPUR: Sarawak Report editor Clare Rewcastle-Brown, whose reports were mentioned in the criminal case of Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, was seen at the court complex on Friday (Aug 10).
She arrived with an unidentified man at about 9.10am.
On Friday, Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, who represented Najib, submitted before the High Court in a formal application for a gag order on the media from discussing the merit of the case.
The Sarawak Report was mentioned in the submission several times.
When asked for a comment, the 58-year-old expressed surprise over the matter.
"Well, I wasn't in the courtroom to hear that, so I am not too sure I could be relevant in this particular case but I am very surprised to be brought into this matter," she said.
She disagreed that her articles were prejudicial to Najib.
"I don't think this is a jury trial so I'm sure the judge is able to do his job without being influenced by the media," she said.
In defending her work, Rewcastle-Brown said she had reported factually on the 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) saga.
"None of my reporting on this case appears to have been substantially disapproved," she added.
It was learned that Rewcastle-Brown was at the court complex for a hearing on an election petition filed for the Parliamentary seat of Jasin.
After a string of criminal charges last month, Najib was on Wednesday (Aug 8) slapped with another three counts of money laundering amounting to RM42mil that was linked to SRC International Sdn Bhd, a unit of 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).
On July 4, Najib claimed trial to a charge of using his positions as the prime minister and finance minister to receive a RM42mil gratification when he was involved in the government’s decision in providing a guarantee for a RM4bil loan from the Retirement Fund Inc to SRC International.
He also claimed trial to three counts of criminal breach of trust under Section 409 of the Penal Code.