KUALA LUMPUR: Dr Maszlee Malik said he was unaware of an internal memo ordering all Education Ministry institutions to stop their Utusan Malaysia subscriptions.
Asked about this in Parliament on Wednesday (August 1), the Education Minister will seek clarification on the matter with Education Ministry special adviser Wan Saiful Wan Jan.
Dr Maszlee said that any and all measures that could help save taxpayers money would be supported, but declined to elaborate.
It was reported earlier that the Education Ministry has cancelled subscription of Utusan Malaysia from all schools and varsities effective immediately.
All departments, agencies, schools, universities and colleges under the Ministry will also no longer be receiving the daily.
An Education Ministry source has confirmed that a memo from the Education Ministry's office ordering the cancellation of the Malay daily that has been circulating on Whatsapp is genuine.
The July 18 memo issued by Wan Saiful Wan Jan is addressed to secretary-general Datuk Dr Mohd Gazali Abas and instructs that the subscription be cancelled with immediate effect.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!