Air traffic controllers for MH370 in KL and Saigon did not follow SOPs, says safety probe


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 31 Jul 2018

PUTRAJAYA: Air traffic controllers in Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City did not act according to standard operating procedures on March 8, 2014, causing a significant delay in detecting the disappearance of Flight MH370.

According to the MH370 safety investigation report that was released yesterday, the blunder happened when the Beijing-bound Malaysia Airlines plane was about to enter Vietnamese airspace.

It was about the time when MH370 made the turn back.

The Kuala Lumpur air traffic control centre had transferred control of MH370 to its Vietnamese counterparts at 1.19am as the aircraft approached the Igari waypoint, three minutes earlier then when it should have.

“The Ho Chi Minh City air traffic control centre was not aware that MH370 had been transferred at 1.19am.

“Also, by transferring at 1.19am, the KL air traffic centre controller did not comply with established procedures,” said Datuk Kok Soo Chon, the head of the safety investigation team at a media briefing here.

The report also stated that based on procedure, Ho Chi Minh City’s air traffic controllers should have notified Kuala Lumpur it could not establish a two-way communication with MH370 within five minutes.

It, however, only did so at 1.39am, which meant that MH370 had gone off radar for a good 20 minutes before air traffic controllers were alerted.

“The air traffic controllers did not initiate the various emergency phases as required, thereby delaying the activation of the search and rescue operations,” said Kok.

Kok added that there is no record to suggest that the air traffic controllers in Kuala Lumpur did not take any action to alert the Royal Military Air Force Joint Air Traffic Control Centre.

“There is also no evidence that the air traffic controllers in Kuala Lumpur had kept continuous watch on the radar display,” he said.

Kok, however, stressed that the report was not assigning blame on any party for the disappearance of MH370.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Face-to-face school sessions for Kemas kindergartens postponed
Covid-19: Cops confirm two Bangladeshis who tested positive tried to board flight to Dhaka
Action will be taken if any staff of quarantine centre supplied beer to patients, says Masidi
Covid-19: Those with symptoms get priority for swab tests, says Health DG
BPR financial aid should be transferred to accounts of BSH, BPN beneficiaries, says MCA Youth
Permai aid package can help M'sians face Covid-19 pandemic, says Dr Wee
Permai package: RM500 one-off payment for tourist guides, taxi and bus drivers, says PM
Fifteen banks offering loan repayment moratorium to residents in flood-hit states, says Muhyiddin
Covid-19: Over 80% of M'sians expected to be vaccinated by first quarter of 2022, says PM
All employers in MCO areas eligible to apply for wage subsidy programme, says PM

Stories You'll Enjoy